Ignition Problems & Solutions
Not everyone enjoys driving but everyone can admit that it is a modern convenience that we really appreciate having. However, driving also comes with some challenges. There is the car insurance that must be maintained, maintenance work that needs to be performed regularly and let us not forget the car payments. Repairs can be expensive. Depending on the type of car you drive, even your car payment can be expensive. At Coral Gables Locksmith, we receive calls for ignition repair services. Yes, you might think that you have to contact an auto mechanic for this but since it involves your key, contacting us is also a good choice and often the less expensive option. Ignition problems can be minor or serious. If a key gets stuck in the ignition, this can be easy to handle but can become a serious problem if not handled correctly. If you have a key that is damaged or warped, this is usually when you’ll begin to have problems such as this. The one thing that we would strongly suggest that you do not do is yank the key out of the ignition out of frustration. This can cause damage to your cylinder. When the cylinder needs to be replaced, you’ll end up spending far more money than you would have if you just gave us a call to remove the key for you. Even if you do not cause damage to the ignition, yanking the key out could result in your key breaking off inside the ignition. You will still need to contact us to extract the key for you.
We don’t want you to blame yourself because having a key stuck in the ignition is simply something that happens. You can’t predict if and when it might happen to you. You may have been doomed from the beginning. Perhaps your key was not properly cut. This certainly wouldn’t be your fault. However, we don’t’ want you to worry when you face this type of problem because help is just a phone call away at Coral Gables Locksmith. We are available 24-hours a day to assist motorists who find themselvesin this situation. That is why you do not have to resort to drastic measures in order to get your key out of the ignition. However, if you would like to see what you can do on your own before contacting us for assistance, here are some things to consider:
When your car is turned on:
- Check to see if the gear is the right positon. When it is in drive and not in park, you will be unable to remove the key from the ignition
- Check to see if the dashboard indicator shows that the gear is positioned in the parked position. If it is not, again, you won’t be able to remove the key. Gently moving the key back and forth may loosen it up so that you can this extract it from the ignition.
- When the key is out, you shoul be able place it back in the park position.
- After this occurs, don’t ignore it because the problem could occur again. Instead, contact a qualified locksmith to evaluate this problem so that you can have it resolved.
When your car is turned off:
- This time you want to make sure your key is in the right position. If you have an old cylinder, this might cause the key to be inserted incorrectly.
- Again, you can gently wiggle the key to see if it begins to loosen up so that it eventually comes out.
- If you have a battery that is dead, you will not be able to remove the key. If your dashboard lights up, it isn’t the batter. However, if your dashboard fails to light up, you can be sure that the battery is dead. When the dashboard is dead, it will not recognize the chip inside your key. This means it will not release the key. This actually servces as a protection to the owner of the car to prevent their car from being stolen.
All of the aforementioned suggestions are easy fixes. However, if none of this works, do not hestitate to give us a call. Don’t worry, we’ll respond immediately to your service requests.
You might be wondering if there is anything you can do on your end while you wait for help to arrive. Yes! Below are a few things to consider doing while you are waiting for a locksmith to arrive.
- Make sure your key is in the locked position. This will prevent you from draining the battery.
- When or if you have to leave your car, don’t do so without having a spare key on you so that you can gain access back inside your car.
- Don’t ask for help from stangers. You don’t know if they know what they are oing and they could actually make your problem worse than it already is. Just wait patiently for our locksmith to arrive.
Whatthe Locksmith Does
A locksmith makes a complete evaluation of the problem so that they can make sure they have a complete understanding of what is occuring. They evaluate the indicators on your dashboard, your battery and check to make sure the cylinder is not damaged. When they begin inspecting the cylinder, they might completely remove it to properly evalaute it. They may come to the conclusion that there is nothing wrong with the cylinder at all, instead, the problem might be the key. If it is the key, it is far easier to fix than if it is the cylinder. Once they have made their final diagnosis, the will provide the motorist with a complete analysis of the problem along with a cost analysis of how much it will cost to fix the problem.
Our locksmith wants to get you back on the road as much as you want to get back on the road. They won’t waste your time by attending to other problems. They will get to the root of your problem right away so that they can get you back on the road as quickly as possible.